These days, it is imperative to position your company as an employer of choice in the labor market. Employment branding strategy is essential to analyze because employers can understand what motivates individuals to work for and continue working for particular organizations. Some employers such as Google, Apple, and Amazon have created images that are universal icons which remain competitive in the labor market. Employers can analyze their own employment branding simply by taking a closer look at their current employment and HR strategies.
Recruiting and employment strategies cover several components which often influence retention. Some strategies encompass:
- Creating positive, compelling images of the organization that convey social responsibility and industry impact.
- Providing clear and consistent messages about what it is like to work at the organization through viral phrases such as “commitment to innovation”,” teamwork”, etc.
- Encouraging the best potential candidates to apply for jobs with advertisements using traditional and social media.
- Decreasing the time-to-fill and cost-per-hire ratios.
- Lowering turnover by offering competitive packages and enjoyable work environment.
- Linking the employment brand with the company’s product brands by reinforcing the public’s image of the organization.
- Giving employees a sense of pride in their company by knowing they are working for an employer that has a competitive edge and/or positive contribution to society.
To help build and/or improve on a brand, it is vital to consider the channel of how employment branding is marketed upon others. Popular channels are the company’s website, social media, traditional advertising (on television, radio, print), collateral materials such as brochures, having appearances at job fairs, campuses, or at other types of sponsored or non-sponsored events.
In today’s job market, employment branding is becoming important as the demand for skilled and talented workers increases. With the latest reliance on technology, the job searching and recruiting process has also impacted who is and who is not applying with particular organizations. The need for employment branding cannot be overlooked since it implies that hiring and retention rates may be stabilized. The goal is to make sure employees are satisfied, ensuring business goals are met, while being competitive and unique to one’s own core values.